Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th Freedoms...and the flies died from happiness

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~Erma Bombeck

I had to giggle at this visual Erma painted for us here...

LOVE what she said about the non-violent appreciation of our strength.

LOVE the family analogy, salad, and even the flies made me smile (ooohhh).

And yes, in a few hours "overeaten", I am in full confidence, will be mentioned in our household.

Anticipating that the brisket, chicken and sausage (and all that goes with it) to be enjoyed later won't clog our arteries quite fast enough - I have sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits (with butter / yes Paula Deen reference here & Fredricksburg Peach preserves) on the stove right now!

It's been a fun holiday, we SO enjoyed the hometown activies and parade...
















And for the lady (who shall remain nameless), you can thank me later for NOT posting the not so attractive photo of you enjoying festival food... ;p (your welcome) .

There have been beautiful fireworks for the last few days, more to come this evening. We've heard incredible music...and braved the almost unbearable heat, enjoyed family, friends and new friends.

Today we plan on MORE food, MORE music, enjoying a picnic with a couple of our kiddos and Mackenzie...maybe even some "schwimming".

Joy is mine, freedom to enjoy is mine.

And yes, I feel guilt. Guilt for families that are not together, soldiers here and abroad and all their families sacrifices...for my joy, my freedom.

I hope you know sweet people that you are never far from my thoughts and never leave my heart. God hears your name daily.

I have such gratitude for all my freedoms, my privileges...and I know that I do not deserve the blessings that are mine for the taking.

Happy 4th of July sweet friends...remember those I've mentioned, enjoy your freedoms, family and friends...and remember to give thanks. (and smile...eat that salad before it gets iffy ;p)

No comments:

Post a Comment